Wednesday, March 24, 2010

AIPAC Agonistes, Part 2

"Dear Bernard," Ira Chernus, a professor of Religious Studies at the University of Colorado at Boulder, wrote me today; "That's such an important question you asked in your latest post, a question far too few people explore. When I came to the end, I was eager to learn your answer. What exactly is that 'hole in the heart'? What created it? What else might fill it? So I was disappointed that your piece ended abruptly. You've lived your whole life among these people, I suspect, as I have. I'd love to hear your answers. I hope you'll consider today's post Part I, and give us the rest very soon."

Professor Chernus, I suspect, has important thoughts about this himself, and is flattering me just a little, to see if my views accord with his own. Fair enough, but who can really explain the curious way so many American Jews have made Greater Israel, of all things, the focus of what they call "identity" in, of all places, America? Anyway, I took a crack at this subject in this post of a couple of years ago, about Jews and Obama, and this post from last year, about the gambling magnate and Bibi sidekick, Sheldon Adelson. Perhaps the most sustained piece I wrote about the subject was over thirty years ago, in the New York Review of Books, which I would not change much of today: a review of Hillel Halkin's then much lauded book, Letters to an American Jewish Friend. Here is the review, and also an exchange on American Zionism with Halkin and Leon Wieseltier. We were all younger then, but obviously also gelled.

4 comments:

Ira said...

Thank you, Bernard, for taking up my suggestion. I would urge readers to click on the link to your article about Adelson and give careful study to the quote at the end, from Ahad Ha'am. True visionary that he was, he saw long ago most of the truth about AIPAC and the kind of Jews who support it.

Ira Chernus

marry said...

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
_____________________________

Literature Dissertation

Dissertation Writing service said...

This kind of information is very limited on internet. Nice to find the post related to my searching criteria. Your updated and informative post will be appreciated by blog loving people.

UK Dissertations

ekle paylas said...

nice blog Thanks for sharing. voicesohbet was really very nice.
sesli chat siteleri sesli sohbet
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslichat seslisohbet
sesli siteleri chat siteleri
sohbet siteleri sesli siteler
voice sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli sohbet seslisohbet
sohbet siteleri sesli chat siteleri
seslichat sesli chat
herkesburda herkes burda
sohbetmerkezi sohbetmerkezi